Monday, June 14, 2010

06/14/10

Hello and welcome to the first installment of whatever this turns out to be.

For some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to start writing about all sorts of things. I tend to have thoughts and/or ideas on just about everything that gets tossed my way.


As a disclaimer, I must put it out there that the thoughts expressed in this post are representative of my opinions and mine alone. If my opinions do not agree with yours or you are somehow offended, feel free to let me know. I'm always interested in hearing opinions that differ from mine, even if they're wrong.


That being said, time for the opening volley...


The subject is "President Obama's Memorial Day"


It was just brought to my attention that President Obama was not present at Arlington National Cemetary for the traditional Memorial Day services held there. At first thought and glance, I thought wtf and was pretty shocked.

I've made it known to my friends that I'm not a fan of some of the political decisions made by President Obama, but just as I did for Bush, I stand behind the president of our nation as long as he remains in office. I feel it to be disrespectful to say things like "He's not my President" or other ignorant statements of the like. He was elected just as all of the previous presidents, love it or hate it, you should still respect the office and the man who holds it, but I digress.

After the initial shock wore off, I looked into the story a bit more. It didn't seem to jive that a man as savvy as Obama would make such a giant mistake as just blowing off Memorial Day for a barbecue and a game of bags. It turns out he was at a national cemetary in Illinois and he also met up with wounded veterans in the same state.

I'm not upset with the decision made by Obama not to lay the wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown at Arlington. There have been times in the past when the president has not attended the ceremonies at Arlington. It's not as if he was giving vets and their families the middle finger by being in Illinois, rather he was paying respects in a different manner.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have never served in the military, nor have members of my immediate family, therefore I can't say how this could have a personal impact on my life. I just think that President Obama should be able to pay respects where he chooses on Memorial Day. There shouldn't be an uproar over the location of where he paid respects, rather it should act as an example of the spirit Americans should have on that holiday. Most Americans, myself included, rarely treat the day as the somber reminder of those who have fought for our country. Most of us see it as a day off of work or the beginning to Summer. While that might be the case, all of us should have taken time to show respect to those in our armed services. President Obama took time to do just that.

So, for all of the Obamabashers, lay off of this one. If you want to go after him for other issues, be my guest.



Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment